Thursday, September 6, 2012

Radish Chips!

 We are trying to incorporate more veggies and fruits into our diet again. We got really meat/starch heavy for awhile, so I have been buying more vegetables. One of the things I bought is radishes. I used to grow them, they are super easy, and you can harvest a crop every 3 months year-round here. So I'd like to grow them again, but I needed something to do with them besides slicing them up and putting them on a salad. Roasting them turned out really good, very mild and turnip-y. I found this recipe and thought I would give it a try. Here's the results:

 
 The smaller chips in the front are radish, the larger ones are red potatoes. Slicing was a breeze with my mandolin slicer, I dredged them in olive oil, and sprinkled the chips with sea salt and pepper. The potatoes came out perfect, crispy and salty, with a bite of fresh ground black pepper. The radishes were good, a bit more spicy due to the radishes themselves, but they shrunk really bad, and since they have to be turned halfway through the baking, they are way more labor intensive than I have the patience for on a regular basis.

 All in all, the experiment was a success, I would give radish chips a C+, and the potato chips an A-, as they were easier to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment